Version Control: Link
|Submitted: Jun 30 2004
Updated: Feb 1 2009
Crystal is a kwin window decoration theme, which offers you (pseudo) TRANSPARENT titlebar, buttons and borders. Check out my screenshots! It also has some little usuability enhancements.
* The style grabs your wallpaper and uses it as the deco background. It has several blending modes, i.e. it can fade the background into the defined title bar color, or it can brighten or darken the wallpaper, as well as blur the source image to simulate glass.
* Choose the blending color of the buttons.
* You can define the title bar height and border size of the windows.
* Right click on minimize button toggles shade mode.
* Middle click on minimize button sends window to below.
* Double click on program symbol closes window.
* Support for button themes. Basic button theme is included, feel free to swamp me with cool themes.
* Can show a tooltip of the caption
* Mouse-wheel on the title bar to 'scroll' to all opened windows of the same desktop.
* If kdocker is installed (http://kdocker.sf.net), right click on close button will send the window to the systemtray.
- Crystal needs KDE >=3.2 and QT>=3.2.
- May be very slow and memory consuming
- Don't forget to breathe, while drooling.
-- INSTALL ---------------------
Basic Installation (from the console):
- Step 1
OR: $ ./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix`
- Step 2
- Step 3 (as root)
# make install
If you installed crystal while it was running, you need to restart kwin to use the updated version: kwin --replace
Crystal in common distributions:
- Kubuntu: Crystal is the default decoration since 6.06
- Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install kwin-style-crystal
- Gentoo: emerge -a x11-themes/crystal
- Fedora: yum install crystal
- Debian: apt-get install kwin-style-crystal
- openSUSE: install from repository http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_10.2
- FreeBSD: Port x11-themes/kde-windeco-crystal
- Mandriva: urpmi kwin-style-crystal
For KDE 4.x port see:
Source can also be found on GitHub:
* Added Kubuntu button theme (thanks to Kubuntu team)
* Do not draw shadowed captions of inactive windows so it's easier to read
* Nicer defaults
* Probably fixed linking of kdecore on some platforms
* Don't hide borders when in half maximized state. Fixes glitch when restoring a half maximized window.
* Fixed linking of needed libraries like Qt in rare cases
* Fixed crash in "cycle tasks with wheel" in Compiz/Aquamarine. Use KDE setting when running in compiz.
* Set default of "cycle tasks with wheel" to off
* Showing version in preview
* Fixed bug of not clipping when window is not visible (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kwin-style-crystal/+bug/82870)
* Integration of kdocker: Right click on close button to run kdocker for that window to minimize it to the system tray. kdocker needs to be installed (http://kdocker.sf.net)
* Menu button is finally themeable. Added menu button images to button themes, where possible
* Added option to suppress drawing of caption
* Added the two more overlays "glass" and "steel"
* Merged the beautiful Kubuntu Feisty button theme
* Added Kubuntu-Edgy button theme
* Doubleclick is recognized on whole window frame
* Possibly slight speedup in rendering overlay
* Added sweet Kubuntu button theme
* Fixed button misplacement when returning from fullscreen mode
* Added raised/sunken mode to inline and outline frame
* Minor fix for outline frame with Vista buttons
* Configdialog changes/fixes
* Option to _completely_ disable all transparency code, for more speed
* You can separately define the color of the minimize and maximize button now
* Yeah, I think, it's worth the 1.0.0 now!